Living the American Dream

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Doctor, Doctor....

If U.S. television is anything to go by, Americans are obsessed with their health. There are constant ads for medicines and drugs, and what is particularly strange to me is that prescription only drugs are advertised, with the sole purpose of telling patients what to ask their doctors for.
Imagine how this would work in England:

After sitting for 45 minutes in a crowded waiting room, 84-year-old Mrs Brown is finally called in to see her doctor. It takes her some time to realise this as the announcement appears to be made by a foreign exchange student talking through a sock.

Doctor: So Mrs Brown, what can I do for you this afternoon? You know you must give
those tablets I prescribed for you this morning more than an hour before
complaining they don't work.

Mrs B: No, it's not my water works this time, doctor. I've got a terrible pain in
my (unbuttoning her blouse) ....knee.

Doctor: (Typing out a prescription without even examining her)Just a little case of
arthritis I expect. I'll give you six months supply of Zimamon. Come back in
the spring and let me know how you're getting on. Don't forget I'll be away
on a three month cruise from Thursday.

Mrs B: Zimamon? Can't I have Blomamin? They reduce swelling in just 2 hours in 90%
of cases and you can take them even if you're allergic to yeast.

Doctor: You really must not take those adverts so seriously. Firstly, they're known
to cause headaches in 20% of all patients under 90. Secondly, they're totally
uneffective if you eat red meat and thirdly, you're not allegic to yeast.

Mrs B: But they're so easy to swallow and I only need to take one a month to put
the vitality back in my step. Everyone should ask their doctors for Blomamin.
I'll notice the difference right away.

Doctor: (Standing up)I'm sorry Mrs Brown you're 3 minutes are up. I have other
patients to see and I've a round of golf booked for 4 o'clock.

Mrs B: Well, ok then. But before I go, I've noticed this nasty rash on my inner
thigh....

1 Comments:

  • This is when we welcome the customer to the wonderful world of skincare at the cosmetics counter! We can brighten, firm, control redness, sunburn, burns, age spots and prevent future signs of aging! No cash? No problem! Open a store credit account and shop away with a 10% discount! We love to oversell on products that you will never use!

    By Blogger Placido, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home