Living the American Dream

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Bookworms

I have never been to a book group, but like so many things in life I had my preconceived ideas. I imagined half a dozen women sitting in someone's living room spending 10 minutes discussing a book only two of them had bothered to read, followed by two hours idle chat over a glass or two of wine and a peanut.
So I was pretty relaxed when I attended my first meeting of the Pageturners Book Group at the Nichols Library in downtown Naperville this week. I had a good excuse for not reading the book. I had only recently arrived in town and the book, Lipstick Jihad, was out of print in England. It is the biography of an Iranian journalist living in the U.S, and discusses what life is like for today's Iranian women.
Like so many things, my expectations were short lived.
Going down the stairs to the meeting room, I was greeted by a committee style arrangement with 22 women seated around the tables. They all had name cards in front of them. At the head was Buffy (you may be surprised to read not her real name), who is a professional book group leader. It looked like a meeting of the United Nations. The women appeared to be professionals, all with something to say. And worst of all, not a glass of wine in sight, although that was probably just as well since it was only 9.30 a.m.
Many of the women appeared older than me, which initially I thought might be a blessing. Little old ladies just passing the time of day, but alas not so. If this is retirement in the U.S. I need to start preparing. They were all so fascinating and able to discuss a multitude of subjects, (and wait for this), as if they actually understood them.
Some had written notes on the book. It was like attending a class. There were women from different countries, including one who was actually from Iran, where the book was set, who gave a mini lecture about what life is like there.
Afterwards we all went for lunch. There I met a lady who fundraises for a group which brings Palestinian and Israeli teenagers to America to live together for a few weeks. Apparently last year they even met up with Native American kids to learn about their different cultures. Guess not everyone over 60 stays in and bakes cookies then.
Next month's book is a biography of a Geisha girl. Knowing this group, the discussion will be held in Japanese followed by sushi and a lecture on the country's political history. Guess I'd better start swotting up now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home