Living the American Dream

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Newshound

After being America for almost three months, I am beginning to feel a little cut off from the rest of the world, and I don't think I am the only one.
I thought the easiest way to keep abreast of current events would be by watching the TV news, but I'm not so sure. Considering this country is at war, most days it is hardly mentioned at all. I have little idea what is going on elsewhere in the world, but occasionally the strangest tidbits from England pop up. For example, hot news this week is that Britain has come up with a new wonder treatment for wrinkles! Turns out is has been produced by Boots No 7! (For US readers, this is similar to Walgreens, only smaller with less choice, of course).
Monday will see an interview with NBC anchor Matt Lauer with Princes William and Harry, and in a couple of weeks his colleague Meredith Viera is travelling all the way to Scotland to interview J.K. Rowling.
In the UK, I knew what Tony Blair was doing on an almost hourly basis, whether I cared or not. George Bush is currently in Europe at the G8 summit. Hot news? There was speculation someone in the crowd of wellwishers (astonishing in itself) had taken his watch. Turns out he removed it himself and handed it to someone else. Really? Amazing! No information about what actually happened at the conference. Perhaps he cried off and went sightseeing.
If I hear another word about Paris Hilton I will scream. In and out of prison like a yoyo, what does this say about the American penal system? Latest is she has found God. Where? In the cell next door? Who knows? Who cares? (Any Paris fans, feel free to comment here. I certainly haven't come across anyone who is in the least bit interested).
One thing they do have in Naperville is a local news station. I enjoyed London news back home, but this is entirely different. Most days when I flick through the 800 or so channels, I find coverage of council meetings. I was never actually fired up with enthusiasm when I had to report on them back home as a reporter, but on TV? Watching paint dry is more interesting. This, by the way, is not just a cliche. It is, of course, something I can comment on with some expertise at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home