Living the American Dream

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hair Raiser

With Matt and his crew hard at work on the house and my new upstairs furniture scheduled for late afternoon, I decided to take a well earned break from unpacking yesterday morning and went off to see my new hairdresser Pam. Yes, I know, but I do have this party on Sunday and a girl needs to look her best. Anyhow, not surprisingly, it did not turn out to be quite as restful as I had hoped.
On the way there I had a call from the furniture company. Remember, I understood they were going to arrive late afternoon with all the upstairs furniture.
"Hallo, just wanted to let you know we'll be delivering between 12 and 3," I was informed.
Now I know this may sound silly, but being so close to the wire, the slightest alteration can have serious knock on effects. But no matter, when I got to the salon Pam assured me I could be done by 12 and Matt said he would be able to let the men in.
At around 11.30 a.m. my cell phone goes again.
"Hallo? Our delivery guys are here outside your house. Where are you?"
I couldn't bring myself to tell her that at the time my longed for beds were arriving I was swanning about in the hairdressers.
"Er, I'm a bit tied up right now," I said, my phone clamped to my right ear while Pam was washing suds out of my left. "My contractor can let you in."
"He did, but we will need you to sign. And where exactly do you want everything?"
"Just a moment, I'm in a rather important meeing. I'll have to see if I can get out....er yes.. I should be able to get there in say 15 minutes."
As soon as I put the phone down, Pam rushed through the rest of the session like a whirlwind. It's the first time I have ever had my hair done and can honestly say I don't even remember checking the results in the mirror.
I drove off at high speed trying to get my head in front of the blowers so no one would realise how ridiculous I had been in wasting time at the salon.
"Nice hair," said Matt as soon as I'd got out of the car, looking like a scarecrow. "Did you get it done locally?"
Flushed, I rushed past him to see the delivery guys lugging furniture into the house. I was relieved to discover that the hideous sofa on the sidewalk had actually been collected from another customer. Goodness knows what the good folks of Cress Creek would have thought of that!
My relief didn't last long. Turns out only half the furniture was ready and no one had bothered to tell us. The company did provide some "loaner" beds, but that still left us with some serious gaps.
My anger on Saturday when my shipment was delayed was nothing to what I felt this time. On those make-over shows they just run round with a few flowers and candles in the last five minutes. Why can't my life be like that? They don't say "oh sorry, you'll have to make do with cardboard boxes for nightstands while we wait for your delivery."
I spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone to the company while resisting the temptation to throw a brick through the store window. I appreciate on the scheme of things there are worse problems in life of course, but this has been such a huge project that it simply has to be done in time for my family's arrival from England tomorrow.
When I eventually got back into the house I found that the tiling had been finished, a wonderful tray ceiling fitted in our bedroom and best of all, three quarters of the kitchen I never thought I'd see. I could have cried. If a builder can do the impossible and remodel an entire house in just six weeks, why can't a company deliver a few sticks of furniture on time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home