Living the American Dream

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Christmas Story: Only in Naperville

Today I want to share with you a story typical of Naperville. A story that shows if you believe, anything can happen.
At 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve we were wandering around town on the ridiculous off chance that we could find a Ninetendo Wii. Obviously the whole idea was nuts. They are totally out of stock everywhere, and to be honest we didn't even want it for Christmas, we wanted it for the end of January when our son and his friends are coming to visit. We thought it would be a nice surprise for them, and also our daughter who is coming in April.
Anyhow, as we were rejected for the umpteenth time in a games store in downtown Naperville, a man came up to me and whispered in a low voice "what is it you want?"
Now, I knew it wasn't Santa. For one thing we'd left him and the Grinch in a highly decorated car outside in the street (don't ask, it's Naperville).
Expecting him to open his jacket and pull out a row of computer games, we left the shop. But as we crossed the road he followed us.
"Look," he said. "I have an extra Wii. My sister and I bought one on the same day. I was going to take mine back, but I thought it's Christmas, so I'd find someone who really needed one and make their holiday. I was going to ask at church tonight, but if you really need one, I have one."
"Well, we don't really need it today, but it would be great for my little boy's birthday in February," I said, not mentioning that he'll be 24.
"I can go and get it now if you want," he said.
Now, I know what you're thinking, and I was too. But let me explain one thing, maybe two. Firstly, he was soooo cute. (Not relevant, but he was). Secondly, this is Naperville. I know it sounds ridiculous, but in Naperville you can trust people. They are law abiding, helpful and almost child-like at times. If someone in London offered us such a thing we'd run, but here, if someone grants you a wish, or a Wii, on Christmas, you take it.
Anyhow, we paid the exact price he had paid (there was a receipt), we took it home, and it worked.

The moral of this story is either:
a) Never buy something that sounds too good to be true because it probably is.
b) In Naperville, at least, what goes around comes around, and if you look at the town through rose coloured glasses all that will happen is someone will offer to clean them for you.
These days, I prefer to go with the latter...

3 Comments:

  • Robin is quite tall for a "little boy"... but fantastic story nonetheless!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:29 PM  

  • Robin is quite tall for a "little boy"... but fantastic story nonetheless!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:29 PM  

  • Have you seen 'Pay it Forward?'

    By Blogger Adele, at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home