Living the American Dream

Monday, December 31, 2007

Mail-strom

Today has not gone well so far. This was my morning:
1. Drove to Hallmark store in freezing fog to buy a card to include in a gift I was sending. Yes, I know I've missed Christmas, but better late than never and I was waiting for just the right thing for my gbf.
2. Store closed.
3. Drove round to another store where I realised I had no cash. Decided it was silly to use a credit card for a $1 card (even though that's what Americans seem to do).
4. Drove to atm. Pushed card in. It was rejected, not because of any financial difficulties, but because that particular atm hates me. Took card out and threw it onto by bag in a huff.
5. Got in a temper. The post office closes early today for New Year's Eve!
6. Drove to another atm, cursing and fuming.
7. Went to take out card again and realised I didn't have it.
8. Searched bag.
9. Searched pockets.
10. Searched car.
11. Searched bag again.
12. Almost in tears of frustration and middle-age, I drove the mile back to first bank.
13. No, no one had handed it in.
14. Checked atm machine. Nothing.
15. Admitted defeat and rang Ross who probably put me on speaker phone so the entire department could hear me making a fool of myself.
16. Drove to Ross's office. Opened passenger door. Ross retrieved card from the back of the seat in 20 seconds. How did that get there?
17. Went into Ross's office for calming cup of coffee and comfort from Spike who made me realise it was all Ross's fault in the first place for taking what little cash I had had the day before.
18. Drove directly to post office.
19. Packaged gift and successfully sent it off without remembering to buy the card I had wanted in the first place!
So, to my gbf who hopefully will read this before the parcel arrives in time for next Christmas, if you get an anonymous gift in the mail, it's from me.

1 Comments:

  • Hilary, if the weather wasn't unreasonably mild here in southern NJ, this story would be mine (sans the "middle-aged woman thing" of course). You're so sweet. Looking forward to the receipt of my first parcel of 2008!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home