Living the American Dream

Friday, April 18, 2008

Here and There

In the US I am.. turquoise
In the UK I am..blue

US: a bucketload of lasagne
UK: a spoonful of pureed potato decorated with a shard of asparagus

US: Free
UK: Shackled

US: Exhuberant
UK: Calm

US: Risk taker
UK: Cautious

US: Growing old disgracefully
UK: Responsible

US: A firecracker
UK: A smouldering match

US: Salsa
UK: Waltz

US: Unusual
UK: English

US: A big fish in a small pond
UK: A small fish washed up on a small island

US: A celebrity (well, working on it anyhow)
UK: Who?

US: A musician
UK: Someone who can work an mp3 player (nearly)

US: Inspired
UK: Stiffled

US: Inspirational
UK: Disapproved of

US: A leader
UK: Eccentric

US: A golfer
UK: Sport, are you nuts?

US: A dancer
UK: Two left feet

US: My dress size is smaller even though I am bigger
UK: Mydress size was smaller even when I was bigger

US: I am home
UK: The other man's grass is always greener

UK: Someone's mother, someone's daughter, someone's wife
US: Me



8 Comments:

  • I cannot believe that you could live 50 years in a country that you have so much distain for. Thank goodness you got out! I fear you have offended those of British heritage, and proud of it, with your comparisons, though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM  

  • Ah, that's another one. In the UK I was always worried about what people thought of me, in the US I care less and they seem to like me for it even more.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 8:36 AM  

  • Great entry and no offence taken here.................besides, if you hadn't moved, we'd have no-one to visit!

    By Blogger Adele, at 2:29 PM  

  • ...............oh and I forgot to ask. Why were you writing your blog at stupid o'clock in the morning?

    By Blogger Adele, at 2:31 PM  

  • It was the only time I have had since returning when I wasn't preparing for the next influx of guests and the seder!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 2:55 PM  

  • As a fellow Brit (with a sense of humour) I enjoyed your "Here and There". Perhaps anonymous/offended should read Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" or "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" - it is possible to recognise (or indeed recognize) differences in UK/US lifestyles, attitudes, etc. yet still be able to love and appreciate two wonderful countries.
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 PM  

  • Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • Thank you. It's always nice to have international readers.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home