Living the American Dream

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Workers Unite

The library at the University of Hertfordshire.
See below as to why this is the only photo!

We used the trip as an opportunity to catch up with former work colleagues. It was fun, but neither visit went quite as planned.


We started off at the University of Hertfordshire, where I used to be an English as a Foreign Language lecturer. I had carefully arranged the timing with my former boss, who explained there would be a meeting mid-morning, but if I came at 10 o'clock it would be fine.


Not having seen them for over a year, I was naturally very excited, but not prepared for what actually happened.


As I walked in the staff room, everyone in the department was there, seated round the table.


"Hilary!" they exclaimed.


I was thrilled. All the joy of work without actually having to do any! But my delight was short lived.


"Sorry, I got the time wrong," said Jenny, pushing me out of the door. "No time."


So I travelled 3,000 miles literally for a "hallo". That was all.


Next stop was a lovely Chinese lunch with Grumpy's former boss Shirley, the one who helped so much in our transfer to the U.S.


This was much better, excepting she had forgotten her wallet, so we ended up having to pay for her. It was delicious, but even by English standards quite expensive.


"I'll get myself a bad name,"she laughed. "Us Scots are always said to be mean, in fact they say we hurt our heads rushing to pick up a coin before it lands on the floor. I'll never live this down!"


Not now she won't.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home