Living the American Dream

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Party On...

What I miss most about my old job is not driving to it in the fog at 7.30 a.m. or schlepping a bag full of books and a cassette player down mile long corridors, but having colleagues. We all got on well, and had great fun having departmental parties for special events.
So it was with great pleasure that even though I don't technically have a job, this afternoon I was still able to attend a leaving do.
The jolly event took place at North Central College, where I hope to be teaching an adult evening class if anyone ever enrols for my course. My vivacious 'employer' Jen announced she was leaving a couple of days after recruiting me. I'm trying not to take it personally. It was just like the old days. We all sat round a table laden with plates of cheese, fruit and brownies, while everyone chatted as if they had been friends for years.
I met some great people, exchanged a few business cards and waved a teary farewell to the woman I didn't know. I cooed over her four month old baby (the reason she is leaving), shook hands with everyone and welcomed our new department head.
It was so much fun it made me realise I don't care if I don't get any students at all. In fact I may just make a whole new career out of crashing other people's leaving parties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home