Living the American Dream

Friday, July 25, 2008

It's My Party, But She Can Cry If She Wants To...

There are days when my life here is as boring as watching golf on TV, today it was more like I Love Lucy.
I was back at Jewel just after 8 a.m. buying those final few bits for the party. (You know the ones, the things you can never find, eventually do, then leave them at the back of the cupboard only to discover them mouldy six months later).
All I needed was some dessert bowls, which Grumpy thankfully realised we'd forgotten, and some nuts to sprinkle on icecream. You'd think it would be easy, but no.
I ran round the shop like a headless chicken, went nuts looking for nuts and was thrilled when I found the bowls.
But Grumpy has taught me well. How could I buy them in Jewel when they might be cheaper somewhere else?
So I shot off to two more stores where I discovered not only were the items not cheaper, but they didn't actually have any.
Time was ticking by and I knew I had a garage load of vegetables to prep for salads.
So it was back to Jewel yet again. This time I bumped into my favourite cashier Joanne. Joanne works at Jewel, the Morton Arboretum and in her spare time acts as my shrink.
I was in such a state I blurted out how exhausted I was from all the running around getting things organised so it all looks effortless on the day. (Guess I've blown that if any guests are reading this).
I was sweating and my hands were shaking I was so tired.
Joanne was very sympathetic. She started laughing.
"I don't know anyone who throws parties like you do,"she chortled.
Then to a co-worker she added: "Hilary writes for the Naperville Sun. I think she's hysterical. I know her whole life story."
"Yes, but this is serious. I've got 75 people coming for a party on Sunday and I can't find the nuts."
In the end I invited Joanne to the party to quieten her down.
"Look, I really must get going," I said. "I have to meet my composer, we're writing a musical ."
At that point Joanne started laughing so hard she started crying.
"I haven't laughed so much in ages," she said, wiping her eyes.
It's gratifying to know that as my life continues to unravel everyone around me finds it so amusing, I must make sure she has a front row seat for the show.
Finally as I drove off to see Mrs Hammerstein the answer came to me. Next year instead of carting all this food back from Jewel, I'm going to hold the party in aisle 7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home