Living the American Dream

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Songwriting in Memphis

Put on my black suede boots,
As I boarded the plane a day late,
Touched down in the land of the Delta blues
In the middle of a summer’s day.
I thought it was late December,
Dressed for the Chicago cold,
So I’m as hot as a girl can be.

So I’m sweating in Memphis,
Sweltering 10 feet off of Beale,
Sweating in Memphis,
Cannot believe how hot I feel.

Saw the ghost of Elvis,
In every souvenir shop,
Followed him through the gates of Graceland
With a few hundred of my closest friends.

They’ve got catfish on the table,
There is gospel in the air,
They said “Tell me are you are Christian child?”
I said in my best English accent, “No, actually I’m Jewish.”

Driving round Memphis,
Wish I had kept my feet on Beale.
Eating in Memphis,
Cannot believe how stuffed I feel.

6 Comments:

  • Well, it looks like I didn't miss much the time I flew through Memphis for a fun day testifying before a Congressional committee in scenic Jackson, Tennessee...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

  • Hi Hilary,
    I was just reading your article in the Sun today
    (12/30) and got to wondering if you are applestrudel from another source. I've been sitting at my computer enjoying your blog for the past hour. Interesting to hear someone else's take on Naperville. As one of my neighbors once said "everything in Naperville is bizarre."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 AM  

  • Hi Colleen
    Thanks for your kind comments but am curious about "wondering if you applestrudel from another source". What do you mean? My answer presumably means I am not, but I do really enjoy eating it..

    By Blogger Hilary, at 9:36 AM  

  • Tripadvisor.com About the time you moved to Naperville I was exchanging notes with someone with a applestrudel screen name who was moving to Naperville from England.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 AM  

  • Whew! Put this song to music, I love it.

    By Blogger datauser, at 1:35 AM  

  • Thanks! Nowadays I write songs with a real composer, but you can't beat a good bit of plagiarism!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home