Living the American Dream

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Friends in High Places

Regular readers will know how I've been stalking Naperville's mayor, George Pradel since we first arrived in the country. He's like a caricature of everything a town mayor should be. In fact you can even buy a bobble head caricature of him in one of the local gift stores.
It all started when we were preparing for our first annual barbecue,just three months after we arrived. I started joking that we had so many people I fully expected the mayor to turn up. Of course he didn't.
I did personally invite him twice to the Purim shows I directed at Congregation Beth Shalom, but again he let me down.
Like most people I often see him around town, but being the shy and retiring type, I don't make a habit of accosting him.
Finally at today's Rotary meeting I found myself sitting behind him. As we left, he shook my hand warmly and said he was happy I was living here. Now you would think I'd be delirious at this. At last the recognition I deserve! But I wasn't so sure. I suspected he said this to every stranger he met. In fact I was so unsure I even posted a status update about it on Facebook.
Much as I am totally addicted the social networking site, it often falls apart when you actually meet your Facebook buddies in person. Tonight we attended a concert at the Wentz arts center with several members of the local TV channel NCTV17. My Facebook friend and TV anchor Dolly McCarthy just couldn't control herself when she saw she was standing opposite me and next to the mayor.
"So Mr Mayor, do you know who this is?" she said, as bold as brass.
He looked blank for a moment, then said: "Yes, I shook hands with you at lunch today didn't I?"
Good answer, but not really a clarifier. To make matters worse at that moment someone else I knew leapt in so I found myself ignoring the poor man completely.
Eventually I got the chance to introduce myself and explain the story about the party. So here and now, let me say I fully expect Mr Pradel to join us at next year's barbecue bash, even if it means having to hold it in HIS backyard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home