Living the American Dream

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rotary Hil

You don't need me to tell you what fun it is to eat ice cream, but did you know it's even more fun to serve? I got my chance today at Soup's On, Naperville Rotary Club's main fundraising event of the year. It's a kind of taste of Naperville food fair, where visitors are given soup cups to collect generous tasters from the city's finest eateries. Part of the money raised goes to our food pantry, Loaves and Fishes. I suppose we could cut out the middle men and just give the food directly to the needy, but I guess we do more good this way.
My love affair with Coldstone Creamery has been well documented on this blog, but today's event gave me the chance to give back - literally.
Red Velvet and Chocolate ganache ice cream cakes, Cake Batter and French Vanilla, all scrummy, and not tiny portions either. You'd think they'd be enough calories in each piece, but no, customers queued up for me to squish on chocolate sauce, caramel or raspberry puree.
"Do something really decorative," said one clever clogs.
"I could give you an autograph including my middle name if you like," I replied. "That would give you loads of sauce."
It was fun but exhausting work. After a few hours I was pleased to retire to the Rotary table to hand out information and work the film show via a laptop.
An hour or so later the thing suddenly froze. Typical, just as Grumpy appeared on a break from the silent auction table.
"You broken it again?" he sneered. "Why is whatever you touch breaks?"
"Come over here," I replied. "Let me massage your neck."

1 Comments:

  • We were so impressed with this event - the whole thing was so enjoyable! You and Grumpy are fantastic! Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home