Living the American Dream

Sunday, June 27, 2010

They Think It's All Over - It Is Now

So this morning we got up and headed off to Quigley's, our local Irish pub. We found a good spot in a room seemingly filled with English supporters and ordered our British brekkie.
Within minutes we realized that only half the room was English, the other German. I hoped they wouldn't be too disappointed when they lost. We came across our German friend Matt, so he and his son joined us to make up an international table.
"I won't wish you good luck, but nice to see you," I said.
The fun lasted for about 20 minutes until Germany scored their first goal. Half the room went wild. My friend leaped towards the TV screen as I poked my sausage around the plate. Great way to lose your appetite.
I tried to have fun, but let's face it, it is no fun when you're losing. The fact that my German friend kept shouting "shoot shoot" at the screen didn't help.
"Funny how the English think their greatest football adversary is Germany," he chirped. "We think ours is Holland, not England at all."
Another goal later I could see why. Suddenly everything went black, and not because I'd passed out for a change. The satellite TV lost its signal due to yet another storm. It lost the signal just as we scored not only our only allowed goal of the game, but the one that was disallowed by the seemingly blind referee.
The game ended with a horrible 4-1 loss for us.
"Well, it's been nice to see you," I said, shaking hands with Matt as we left. "Pity it was under such tragic circumstances."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home