Living the American Dream

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Driving Miss Crazy

Today I had my first experience of driving in the U.S. Over here kids can have a provisional licence at 15, and can take their test on their 16th birthday if they wish. So I thought, how hard can it be? I picked a nice mumsy instructor, Cathy, who admitted she had never taken an adult out. It must have been refreshing for her to have a pupil not in school uniform.
"I'll show you all the useful places," she said. "We'll get you to the supermarket, shopping downtown, the station where you can get the train into Chicago for more shopping." (These mid-western women really have their priorities right!)
Must be a change from Chuck E Cheese (kids' restaurant) and the playground.
So with three minutes prior experience of driving our hire car around the car park at our apartment, I set out bravely onto the open road. I had a few things to remember. Firstly, which side of the car to get in. It always helps to get in on the side behind the wheel. Whoops. Then you must stick to the right side of the road, especially when you turn right. Also, drive near the centre of the road or the other drivers will think you are drunk.
Left turns were a little worrying, especially as you must then stay in the left side of the right side.
You may only turn left on green, but can turn right on red, unless the sign says you can't, there are brave pedestrians (never) in front of you, or a cute guy in the car next to you.
"Now we'll go to a busy area downtown. The roads are very narrow so go as slow as you like, " Cathy advised.
Most English people tend to think of American roads as 10 lane freeways with taxi drivers shaking their fists, or people stepping out of their cars to take part in a little slapstick comedy. Not so Naperville. The roads are so quiet I could have got out and pushed the car around town without upsetting anyone. The "narrow" road was the size of an average English main road and busy traffic meant there were two or three cars within vision.
If I decided I didn't want to drive, I could probably hire a horse and cart.
Another thing worrying me was the automatic transmission. I have only driven a manual up to now, called rather oddly a 'stick shift' here. The years I have wasted building up muscle in my left arm! It was like driving a kiddy car - no wonder Ross has had one for so long. Cathy said you don't even need to use a hand brake when you stop, although I'm not sure about that one.
Fortunately I have a year on my international permit before I have to apply for an Illinois licence. The good news is that we will only have to answer questions on the highway code, just as well as it took Ross five attempts to pass his test back in England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home