Living the American Dream

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cicada Watch

The latest buzz word in the Chicago area is definitely cicada! For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, let me explain. Cicadas are locust-like insects which literally plague areas lush with mature trees. Just like most of Naperville.
The good, if somewhat extraordinary news, is that they only emerge every 17 years and only in specific parts of the country. Just my luck, this is their year!
For the past month or so, the TV stations have been full of warnings. Hysteria is so high one furniture company is even holding a Cicada sale!
Not that the bugs are dangerous. Just ugly and noisy. The newscasters warned that they can smother a tree in their thousands, and their call reach as loud as 120 decibels.
Now I hate creepy crawlies as much as the next person, but ever mindful of the blog, I knew this was a great story. For the past three weeks I have been waiting in intrepidation for their arrival, so I could take photos and tell you all about it.
It seems that Naperville is such a perfect place they even have a magic spell to keep the little critters at bay. I've seen none here at all, even though neighbouring towns have been swamped with them. I finally got to hear their cry on a visit to nearby Downers Grove on Monday. It sounded like crickets with megaphones. Definitely a good plot for a horror film. Luckily only one or two dropped down on the ground, but I feel greatly relieved that Naperville seems to be an exclusion zone.
If any locals have seen them in the area, do let me know. I'm off for a week to New Jersey, so just make sure they are all dealt with by the time I return!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home