Living the American Dream

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Work Permitting!

Something scary appeared in my mail box yesterday. Something I had been dreading..My work permit!
I have gone from 'desperate housewife' to 'unemployed' in the time it takes to rip open an envelope.
It was easy to get work as a volunteer. In fact I'm sorry I had never thought of it in England. It's amazing how simple it is to do a job when you don't require any money. God, I could probably have been a brain surgeon! Not only do they throw work at you, but they are so grateful for everything you do. When you get paid they just sort of expect it.
To be fair I do have a job lined up for September, when I begin teaching creative writing to kids. (What was I thinking?) But Ross says that will do only until I get a proper job. But a real job will interfere with my new social life. I like being a lady who lunches. A lady who only has to get out of bed to avoid being covered in sawdust. I like having meetings with the hoi paloy of Naperville society, then running off to Coldwater Creek afterwards. (For English readers, this is a middle aged clothing store where the assistants ask you your name, although to be fair most of them probably know mine by now).
Crumbs, if I wanted to work, I would have stayed in England!
So if anybody has some work for a teacher/writer within driving distance of downtown Naperville..let Ross know!

2 Comments:

  • What's a trilby?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 AM  

  • It's a hat. Perhaps you call it a fedora in this country.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home