Living the American Dream

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Red Hatters




Until today, my only knowledge of the Red Hat Society was what I had learned on that highly educational TV show, The Simpsons. To be honest, having a son who is a life-long Simpsons fan, proved immensly useful before coming out here. I learned so much about American society from it that I was amazed when I arrived that everyone I met wasn't yellow, but perhaps I'll have to travel to Springfield for that.


(Very witty to U.S readers. British readers note Springfield is the capital of Illinois. Geographically challenged note Illinois is the state in which I find myself these days, just a mile or two away from panic. Think about it....)


Anyway, today I met a local chapter of the Red Hats at a Naperville restaurant, kindly taken along my new friends Marcy and the aptly named Ruby. I knew I was in the right place as soon as I walked in. In the middle of a very smart new Italian restaurant sat about 20 women in purple with red hats. Some were straw, some large, some smaller, and one or two even covered in sequins.


The more literary amongst you may be thinking quizzically at this point. Red hats? Purple? Yes, it turns out the society bases itself on the Jenny Joseph poem Warning.


To remind you: "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple, with a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me."


The society has been going great guns since its inception in 1998 and now boasts chapters all over the world.


The only rule is there are no rules, so therefore no agenda, no meeting, just a chance to get together once a month and have fun with a bunch of like minded women.


The idea is to attract the 50+, but with no rules anyone can join, but under 50s have to wear lavender coloured clothes and pink hats. Honestly.


Since the poem is all about growing old disgracefully, I couldn't wait. I wondered what they would do. Eat dessert before lunch maybe? That would be disgraceful. Or eat dessert instead of lunch. That would be really decadent. Or throw food perhaps? Or flirt with the waiters.


Alas no. It was the usual chit chat, very welcoming and very hospitable, but not what anyone would really call disgraceful.


I asked Norma, who wore a purple pant suit, what she thinks of the people who make fun of the Red Hats. (Who would do such a thing?)


From under her large brimmed red straw hat she said: "The idea is to get together with women of a similar age and just have fun. If people don't like it, I don't care!"


A sentiment that would no doubt be applauded by Jenny Joseph herself.


4 Comments:

  • you should so find a copy of the poem and read it to them next time you see them. i love poem i think i might try and buy it.its fab..so you x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 AM  

  • I imagine they know the poem since the whole movement is based on it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 AM  

  • You know that Yeva is an honourary member by virtue of her own red hat. Her picture should, therefore, be rightfully published. I'm certain the committee of her "peers" will agree!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:24 PM  

  • Isn't this a "rule"???

    "The idea is to attract the 50+, but with no rules anyone can join, but under 50s have to wear lavender coloured clothes and pink hats. Honestly."

    K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home