Living the American Dream

Friday, May 16, 2008

Spirtual Advancement?

We had only just joined the Congregation Beth Shalom synagogue when the rabbi left. We tried not to take it personally, and I for one have very fond memories of his final Friday night service when he sung My Sweet Lord. (In fact it was the funniest piece of entertainment I have ever seen since he took it quite seriously).
Since then the congregation has sailed bravely on under a selection of volunteer captains steered along by our charismatic cantor.
Tonight the congregation was full steam ahead as they joined to welcome a prospective rabbinical candidate at last. Most weeks about 30 people attend. Tonight the sanctuary was full. There were nearly as many people as on a high holyday. They came out in force to see the new man in action. If he is appointed, he's going to be bitterly disappointed on his first week out when he sees his congregation shrunk to nothing again.
Anyhow, after the service the place was in a party mood as they all got to know the rabbi, who will be relocating from Massachussetts if successful.
For what it's worth, he'll certainly get my vote.
"Oh yes," he said, as we were introduced. "I've read your blog. I know all about the synagogue's Purim show. It's very usefuly reading about how someone has moved into the area from so far away. I can certainly relate to that."
I'm still waiting for that call from a top magazine editor or Hollywood producer who wants to buy the rights to the blog, but I can only hope our new would-be rabbi has even higher connections....

1 Comments:

  • Not to intimidate you Hilary, but I'm sure the "higher connection" is already keeping an eye on you!!
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home