Living the American Dream

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Back to the Future

When I moved to the States, I was keen to resurrect my original career. Just like when I was 20 years old, I had aspirations of writing for national newspapers and magazines. In those days, the way to start was by working on a local newspaper, learning the tricks of the trade, sniffing out stories where there were none. I wrote court reports, interviewed couples celebrating golden wedding anniversaries, human interest features and reviewed amateur dramatics.
Thirty years later, I felt I had moved up a notch when I got my column at the Naperville Sun. I was writing all about me and Grumpy. I felt like a celebrity. We were the Lucy and Desi of 2008 Naperville!
Lately there have been a few changes at the paper, and they now want me to go back to writing news features. Later today I'm actually covering exactly the sort of human interest story assignment I would have written in my previous life. It occurs to me that it has taken me 30 years to get back to the same point I started from.
Even the most positive life coach would be hard pressed to think of this as progress. But there is one major difference. In England, a major class on my journalism course was Cynicism 101. I think my readers then took it too. In a town like Naperville, the tiniest achievements are applauded. When I rang my subject to make an appointment to see her, she acted as though it would be really exciting to be interviewed by me! (Don't worry, she'll find out soon enough).
So what I'm trying to say, is that although I've really been pushing forward here just to get back to the beginning, this time round I'm far more optimistic and positive things will work out. Little things mean a lot more here. Even after nearly two years, I still really believe every new e mail will herald my big break, every phone call will be that one from a major TV or radio station. That a Broadway producer will want to take Holy Neuteronomy! to New York. (Well, maybe that one's a little too far fetched but it makes me smile). Even if it isn't, life is a lot more fun when you really believe every day will bring you something more exciting than the last. Now, where's my notebook?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home