Living the American Dream

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bottoms Up!

I used to think doctors, teachers, lawyers and the like were wonderful at what they did, but today I have a new found respect for that most humblest of positions - the bar tender! Last night's fundraiser was great fun, but boy do they work hard. After taking five minutes to open a beer and find the gun that squirted soda (not in the same drink, I might add) I realised it was not an easy job. After trying to mix a Cosmo (which you'd think I'd be able to do since it's my personal favourite) and ending up with a glass full of ice cubes, I decided to look for something easier to do.
Luckily I found my calling at the glass washing machine. It's like a mini car wash only you don't have to drive in. Simply hold the glass over it for a minute, then dunk it into two sinks and voila! As the event really got under way I realised this had another benefit. If I kept my head down no one could catch my eye, which meant they couldn't ask me for a Wallalooza Wallbanger or whatever they were saying. The celebrity bit had long gone out of the window, although I was somewhat jealous to see a local dentist signing autographs!
It occurred to me that anyone stumbling in off the street wouldn't necessarily know it was a fundraiser, and might just think it was the worst run bar in town. Fortunately there were a couple of professionals to help us, one of whom seemed particularly grateful for my glass washing skills because it kept me away from the cocktail shaker.
Not sure how much we raised it total, but we secured $1,500 in tips alone and had a great time. And for a minute at least, it was almost like having a real job...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home