Living the American Dream

Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie and Julia and Hilary

I loved the new Meryl Streep movie Julie and Julia because it's about two of my favourite subjects - food and blogging! I thought the idea about writing a blog with an end in sight (Julie wrote about making all the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook in exactly a year) was an interesting notion. I did the same thing myself in my previous blog - Around The World In 31 Days. This one seems to have developed a life of it's own and I just can't stop.
The view point that keeps echoing in my head though, is something Julie's husband said to her. That writing a blog is narcissistic.
Unfortunately that's true. Although I like to think my blog acts as an ambassador for Naperville and makes people laugh, when it comes down to it, I'm in control and it's pretty much all about me.
The good thing is I don't come round to your house and whack you over the head with it. It's entirely up to you if you want to read it. I expect most bloggers dream of being picked up like Julie Powell was and having their blog turned into a book or a movie. We all think we have something to say and that our readers fall on our every word. We believe blogging is the lazy way to be chosen by an agent, and that that means we don't have to spend years sending in manuscripts to be rejected or worse, ignored.
I could go on to write a humorous piece about who would play Grumpy and me in the movie but I won't. Even I'm not that narcissistic.

4 Comments:

  • Oh, go on! You know, when he was younger, Michael Caine would have been the perfect Grumpy!
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 AM  

  • You should write a blog about Hilary and Hillary.

    CA Crew

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 PM  

  • I hope you're not suggested she has anything to do with me. We may have the same name, but I hold the power here and I have nothing to do with her. Sorry for the outburst. I must have jetlag having just returned from Korea, sorry England.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 2:00 PM  

  • Greaat one, Hillary----oops, I mean Hilary!! What's in a name?

    Hyacinth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home