Living the American Dream

Friday, July 31, 2009

Hat's Off To Dad

If you were offended by a funny story preceding a funeral, I wouldn't bother to read this one.
However...
It was the worst moment of my life. The worse second of the worst moment. My father's coffin had just been lowered and the grave diggers were lifting their shovels..Goodness, even I can't believe I'm blogging this, but believe me, it's worth it.
Anyhow, just as the first shovelful of earth was about to land, a breeze lifted one of our friend's kippahs (skull cap) off his head. In a split second it shot up into the air, landing straight on top of the coffin to be instantly covered over with earth.
My dad Coleman was always known for his dry sense of humour. It's where I got my wit (and job) from. It was as if he felt he had to make me laugh when I was feeling sad, just like he did when I was a little girl. So at the worst split second of the worst second of the worst moment, there we were all standing around crying tears of laughter. How fitting that Dad got the last laugh. Sleep well.

1 Comments:

  • It's just those moments that get us through these dreadful times in our lives.. as Readers Digest has been telling us for many years "Laughter is the Best Medicine" Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home