Living the American Dream

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

My Boyfriend's Back...

This week in London I've been sitting shiva, a kind of week long wake that Jews hold following a death. Much like the Irish version but without the ham. It's been wonderful meeting up with old friends and family members I haven't seen for years. Not to mention the realization that many of my facebook buddies are actually real people!
One person I particularly wanted to see again was my first boyfriend who I hadn't seen in almost 30 years. The room was so crowded he and his wife slipped in quite easily before the evening prayers began. We had a lovely chat and he was about to leave when he was caught by my mother.
Mum is 85, but still has the mental capabilities of someone half her age.
"I know you," she said loudly. "Who are you? You look familiar."
The room fell silent. I realized quite a few people had actually left. Those who remained looked up, excited to discover who the mystery stranger was. The mystery stranger giggled nervously.
"You know who this is, " I prompted Mum. I told her his name. That sort of helped, but not enough to remind her exactly his role in our lives.
"I once repaired an old watch of yours," said Boyfriend No. 1.
Great. Now Mum'll think he was some sort of jeweller. He was always tinkering about fixing something or another.
I swear the entire room moved a little closer to hear what was going on.
"And I gave Hilary driving lessons."
The penny finally dropped with a thud on the floor.
"Ohh," said my mother. "I remember. Hilary never bought any of her boyfriends home, but I do remember you. Actually I do remember another one. He was called..."
"Makes you sound like a real trollop," whispered an old friend sitting next to me. "How many men did you have?"
It was a real "and here's what you could have had" moment. On one side of the room sat my final boyfriend; the son-in-law mum ended up with, in front of her the first one; the one who was quiet as a mouse and would even have been able to fix things about the house. (I've always had an eclectic taste in men). It wasn't that she actually really liked Boyfriend No. 1 when we were dating, but if she'd have known who I would eventually marry, I'm sure she'd have driven No.1 and I up the aisle in a racing car.

1 Comments:

  • Ouch.... Poor Grumpy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home