Living the American Dream

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Putting the Strange into Strangers

You sure meet an eclectic bunch of people when you cruise. Our new friends deserted us last night, so we gave up and sat with another couple. The sort of people you think only exist in movies, but obviously not. He was a jolly enough chap from Seattle. He'd saved hard for an inside cabin and was enjoying his trip of a lifetime, even though it technically wasn't that far from where he lives anyway. He looked to be in his forties and he told us he was celebrating his 33rd wedding anniversary. The odd thing was the woman sitting with him. She seemed to be Japanese, and if he hadn't have told us she was his wife, I would have thought she was his adopted mother. She didn't say a word to us, but let him speak for her.
"She doesn't like this meal, I'll order her another one." "I'm going to put her to bed after dinner then go out carousing." That sort of thing. It wasn't that she didn't speak English either. It was almost like Norman Bates had brought his mother along for the evening.
This morning's breakfast was much better. There we met German gentleman who lived in Canada and a Texan mother and daughter. Mom was a fiesty old turkey, but very jolly. Bit like popping into a Tennessee Williams play for a bit.
At times I feel like I'm making a documentary. Every time I sit down I'm confronted by all sorts of interesting people. I wouldn't necessarily chose to call them all up on the phone when I get back, but it sure gives you a lot of material to store up for future use.
Anyhow, better go now. A scrawny Dolly Parton character has just sat next to me in the cafe here and I'm frightened she's about to look over my shoulder....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home