Living the American Dream

Thursday, October 22, 2009

And The Band Played On - Inside

Every Thursday in the summer we take our seats in Central Park and enjoy Naperville
Municipal Band. Sometimes it's too hot, sometimes chilly, occasionally stormy but always tremendous fun. I started going along to observe a piece of small town Americana, but I have to confess I am now a bit of a fan.
This autumnal Thursday night we heard the band play again. Fortunately it was inside the Wentz concert hall because it was deluging with rain. There was a special reason for this. Not because the instruments would get rusty outside, but because NCTV were previewing a new documentary they have just completed celebrating the band's 150th anniversary.
The documentary was a little old fashioned yet charming, much like the band itself. It was the sort of programme I would have enjoyed watching even back in England, because it says such a lot about a particular slice of American history which is still going strong today. Watching it here made me feel I was actually part of the documentary myself. I wasn't actually in it, of course, but there were plenty of shots of the audience I am a part of in the summer. It's like a metaphor for my life nowadays. I often feel I'm in a movie, because I can't really I believe I do live here, doing what I do and meeting the people I meet. Thanks to the Municipal Band for providing such a rousing soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home