Living the American Dream

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Portrait Of An Artist As An Older Man

This is the face behind the cartoon strip Dick Tracy. It's Dick Locher, who also draws political cartoons for the Chicago Tribune. Locher's an old Naperville favourite, so much so that the latest addition to the Century Artwalk will be a 9' statue of Tracy.
Locher was in town talking to Naperville Rotary Club today. Here are some samples of what he told us:
"A good cartoonist is one who makes the editor nervous."
"My job is like being a blind javelin player in the Olympics. He doesn't win a lot but he sure is interesting to watch."
"The statue is made out of Styrofoam, then we put 600lbs of clay on it, then scrape 400lbs off. People ask me how I get it to look like Dick Tracy. I tell them I simply scrape away everything that doesn't look him!"

1 Comments:

  • Now that's a speaker I would have enjoyed listening to! Thank you for the quotes, Hilary.. Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home