Living the American Dream

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shaken But Not Stirred

Chicago may not be every one's first choice when moving to the U.S. The West Coast is warmer, New York more sophisticated, but until last night, it did have one major advantage. Although in theory I could be swept away like Dorothy by a tornado, at least we don't usually have earthquakes.
Yesterday was a snow day here. By that I don't mean two inches and the schools shut like in England, but a foot or so over 24 hours. We were warned that the night would be wilder, with winds backtracking across Lake Michigan causing the dreaded lake effect snow. By the time we went to bed snow was still falling, but nothing out of the ordinary.
"Whawassthat?" I jumped out of bed around 4 a.m.
"Uh, what's the matter now?" I'd woken Grumpy up. Nothing unusual since on a good night I'm awake at least three times, but I normally throw the covers off and on, thrash about a bit and go back to sleep.
"I heard something."
I jumped out of bed and ran to the window, but even the snow had stopped. All peaceful.
"What did you hear?"
"Dunno. Something falling against the house?"
By now Grumpy was back in the land of nod so I went back to sleep.
It was only this morning I discovered it was a tremor from a 4.3 earthquake north of Chicago.
The irony is this is not the first time Grumpy has slept through a tremor. We experienced the same thing when we honeymooned in L.A., which is one of the reasons we don't live there.
I only put up with these eternal Chicago winters because I don't want to live on an earthquake belt. This just isn't fair! If it weren't for the fact that New York is experiencing a snow white out at the moment, I'd hop on a plane and move over there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home