Living the American Dream

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Western Suburbs Side Story

It seems almost every week I'm getting the chance to see some of my all time heroes from the entertainment world in person, and this weekend was no exception. Actually, it's been a pretty extraordinary weekend altogether. Yesterday I interviewed Dick Locher, the artist behind Dick Tracy and a Guinness World Record breaker who is going for a new spin cycling record. But in my spare time (!) we went along to Hollywood Palms cinema to not only see West Side Story once again on the big screen, but to hear George Chakiris, Rita Moreno and Russ Tamblyn talk about their experiences making the movie.

It was like watching an old time chat show live. One with where real stars showed everyone they were actually real people after all. Not like today's where the interviewees are lucky to get a word in, and when they do you find they have nothing of interest to say. This was a real class act.
Here's some of what they said:

On choreographer Jerome Robbins...
Russ: He was a perfectionist and very hard to satisfy, but when you did, you were thrilled. Everybody worked really, really hard and he wasn't happy with the dancers until their feet bled.
Rita: I had never done jazz dancing. Before I was a Spanish dancer and I felt I wasn't up to standard, so I worked my butt off. You would die for him. I was a genius. He was the first to use choreography to show the character.

Would you ever see yourselves on Dancing With The Stars?
George: Hey, it would be fun.
Russ: I'm waiting for a show called Stumbling With The Stars.

Favorite number in West Side Story?
All agreed Cool.
Rita: It was a spectacular dance sequence that had dramatic content and enormous energy. It pushed the story forward.

How about Officer Krupke?
Russ: Steven Sondheim had been in psychotherapy in New York when he wrote the lyrics.

Who was the real star of the movie?
Rita: Natalie (Wood) had some celebrity, but there were no real stars in this movie. You want to know who the star of West Side Story is? West Side Story.

I have a little confession here. I had a huge crush on Russ Tamblyn. Of course now he's a lot older, and although seemed likable enough, wasn't quite how I remembered him. But the minute he was back on the big screen clicking his fingers, boy did I remember!

(Come back later to see photos)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home