Living the American Dream

Saturday, March 27, 2010

On the Road with Evan Lysacek

Naperville’s Olympic Gold Ice Skating medallist Evan Lysacek returned home to a hero’s welcome on Friday, March 26th and who was with him every step of the way? Me!
I've written more stories about him over the past 24 hours than even a writerholic like me could wish to. What follows is my article for the Glancer, plus a few additions especially for blog readers. Pix to follow.

Thursday, March 25th 11.30 p.m. Evan flies in from L.A.
7.30 a.m. Hotel Arista.
Evan is interviewed by Sarah Knight Adamson. He’s already appeared on NBC 5 news at 6.30 a.m. After meeting Sarah he heads to the phone for a radio interview with Eric and Kathy of 101.9fm THE MIX. I start to panic, realizing a) I hadn't booked a spot with him. b) If I did have a spot, I had nothing prepared to ask him.
8 a.m.
Evan boards his state of the art tour bus, provided by Naperville transportation company E3Axess, with his mom Tanya, dad Don, Dancing with the Stars partner Anna Trebunskaya and members of team Glancer.
As the bus moves off he’s already talking to reporters.
This bus is bloody amazing! It's all anyone can talk about. Forget the fact that I'm touring with an Olympic superstar - this bus is not only comfy, it has WiFi and electrical outlets!! I'm may be sitting with the mayor and State Representative Darlene Senger, but have you seen the leather in here?
8.20 a.m. Arrival at his alma mater Neuqua Valley High School.
Until you enter a hall of 4,500 screaming kids cheering "U.S.A, U.S.A" you haven't lived. Unfricking believable. Is that a swear word? Well, not in England it isn't.
9 a.m. Press conference. Anna tells the Glancer: “Evan and I hoped we would be able to find five minutes to practice today.”
Ha ha, she'll be lucky. Actually a lovely girl. We talked a lot and she charged something on my netbook so I feel like we've bonded. Try to blot out any thoughts she might be a Russian spy.
9.30 a.m. Evan enters the school gym, welcomed by 4,500 screaming Wildcats. Mayor George Pradel tells him the road outside the school is to be renamed Evan Lysacek Parkway in his honor. Receives school’s first Distinguished Alumni Award.
10.30 a.m. Leaves Neuqua and heads to NCTV for interview with news anchor Dolly McCarthy. No time to rest, Evan is interviewed all the way. He tells the Glancer: “It’s exciting. My schedule has been really busy. I am so fortunate to have so many opportunities, so I am trying to say yes to as many as I can.”
Got my interview, even though I was sat in swively chair and had trouble sitting still. Evan really is very nice. Didn't seem to notice I had no idea what I was doing, but then he had already done 300 interviews that morning so I think he was on cruise control. Still I did get to touch his medal! In fact the first thing I said to him was "Can I stroke your medal? I've never said that to a man before." It was very heavy. Hope it doesn't give him neck strain.
Mom Tanya adds: “It’s very surreal, but a lot of fun.”
11.50 a.m. Arrival at White Eagle Club for Chamber of Commerce lunch. Evan is honored with gifts from many local organizations including a Paul Harris Fellowship from Naperville Rotary Club. He receives a special Cheese cake from Eli’s – shaped like a giant slice of cake atop another cake decorated with edible Gold medals. The real icing on the cake is when the mayor presents Evan with the key to the city.
Finally met with the latest editor of the Naperville Sun. (It's not easy being a freelance you know). Think he knew who I was.
2.30 p.m. Back on the bus for more interviews.
2.40 p.m. Gregory Middle School. More wild cheers as Evan returns to another former school. “I’m on a very busy schedule, but I’m wanted to make sure I stopped by and say hi to you guys,” he told them.
God, you have to be an Olympian to keep up with this pace. Absolutely exhausted. Start pretending when I jump off the bus and enter the venues people are cheering for me.
3 p.m. Springbrook Elementary School. Evan attended 4th and 5th grade here. He told the children how important reading is and told them his favorite book growing up was Where The Wild Things Are.
The teachers here are amazing. They control an entire hall of screaming kiddies with hand gestures, and not the ones you might imagine....
3.45 p.m. Public rally at Rotary Hill. Evan and Anna demonstrate some dance moves.
Me to Evan's dad Don as the bus pulls up:
"That man in the crowd looks like Drew Peterson." (Local villain for foreign readers)
Don: "Actually he's my brother in law."
5 p.m. Leave Rotary Hill.
Given huge piece of the special cheesecake. I know I'm on Weight Watchers yet again, but you can't turn down cake made especially for an Olympic athlete, especially when you are sitting opposite him. Worth every calorie.
5.10 p.m. Rosebud restaurant. Fundraiser for the Stephanie Joseph Memorial Fund attended by 125 people. Stephanie was Evan’s childhood skating partner who died tragically from cancer when she was just 21. Since then Evan has been working with her family to raise money to provide scholarships and grant wishes for young people in need.
Grumpy appears on the scene to help me take photos since I'm so tired my eyes are crossing. Editor of Glancer magazine's 6- year-old daughter asks why he is called Grumpy. So young, bless her. She'll learn.
I give Evan a big handshake and wish him well as he says goodbye.
6 p.m. Evan waves goodbye to Naperville and heads back to LA for more rehearsals for Dancing with the Stars.
I collapse into a well deserved glass of wine.
Huge thanks to local PR Veronica Porter for organizing the event and more importantly allowing me on the magic bus.

1 Comments:

  • Wonderful!! Absolutely wonderful!!
    The next best thing to being there is having Hilary describe it for you!! Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home