Living the American Dream

Monday, March 22, 2010

Skating On Thin Ice - The Evan Lysacek Effect

It really is fascinating how success breeds success, or to look at it another way, how so many people can profit from another person's success. This evening I attended a viewing party for Dancing with the Stars at a local restaurant. The party was organized by a local podiatrist and the owner of a hairdressing salon in support of Naperville's Olympic golden boy Evan Lysacek. This meant that they got some free publicity for themselves, as did the owner of the restaurant. They thoughtfully used the event to raise money for a local charity, so they got some publicity also.
I'd like to make it clear at this point, that I am not scorning these people's self promotion. I'm guilty of the same thing myself. I filed copy on the event to my newspaper from the restaurant. By the time I returned home it was already on their website. As soon as I'd read it, I copied links onto facebook, including one on Lysacek's own fan page.
This week the entire thing is likely to escalate. On Friday, Naperville celebrates Evan Lysacek Day, when all sorts of local organizations will be cashing in on the young Naperville native's success. Everyone is very excited that our lovely city will be featured on the program next week as ABC are sending a film crew to cover the event.
Even though I'm doing the same thing myself, I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. We're not anything special, Evan is. By attaching ourselves in this way, does it not simply turn us into leeches? I'm really looking forward to some real reporting. It was thrilling tonight relaying the news as it happened, and I'll be doing the same thing at three events on Friday. But it's Evan we should be focusing on, not the others pushing for fame and fortune on his back. If we're not careful, we'll all be skating on thin ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home