Living the American Dream

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Triple Klutz

At a party with neighbors the other day, I was horrified when they said we hadn't had a bad winter in Chicago for at least three years. That means all those springs I was congratulating myself for having survived were a joke.
This winter started right on cue early December. Technically, of course, winter doesn't begin until December 21st, but with holiday festivities in full flow, it was only fitting for Mother Nature to dump her first load of snow on us.
The snow, to be fair, hasn't been that much of a problem. It's the cold. And the ice.
Whenever it rains, which being Naperville is only between the hours of 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. every other Tuesday unless its a leap year, a pool of water collects at the end of our drive.
A sudden early deep freeze has meant we now have our own small but beautifully formed skating rink.
Our paper delivery girl seems to take great delight into throwing our newspaper directly into it's center which means if I want to retrieve it without having to going to the hospital afterward, I have to reverse out of the garage in my car, pick it up then drive back again. I know everyone uses their cars for everything in this country, but even so....
It was worse on Monday evening when I had to put out the wheelie bin (garbage can for American readers). I couldn't see the ice patch looming and completed a triple lutz as I sped to the kerb (yes, that's how we spell it in England)at breakneck speed.
Fortunately Evan Lysacek is a facebook friend so I'm going to ask him to me help out next week if he's not too busy.

4 Comments:

  • brilliantly coloured word pictures


    Eliana's and Abigail's mum

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

  • Your good at those Triple Klutz’s remember the one you did on my wet, moss covered deck? That scored a 10, I am not an expert; I just think it is amazing you can get your legs that far off the ground without years of gruelling training and dedication.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • You are not alone! I must confess to having driven round our court so that I am on the right side to reach in and collect our mail from the box. And I wonder why I have gained weight since we moved here....

    By Blogger Gill, at 10:13 AM  

  • You're killing me here...stop it my face hurts...I looking forward to working with you and grump for quite a while. Your wit and wisdom is golden..

    By Blogger David Neesley, at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home