Living the American Dream

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Families protest Show-Me’s - Naperville Sun

Fascinating story in the Naperville Sun. If you read it carefully you'll see some locals are protesting about a proposed restaurant coming to town. It seems to be much like Hooters or the Tilted Kilt - a place to eat where the food is the last reason people go there.
To me, this is Naperville at it's worst, but not for the reasons you might think.

“I’ve been living here for 14 years, my whole life,” said protester Emma Sliwinski. “I don’t want to see this godforsaken place loaded with drunks, drug addicts and strippers.”

I'm sorry, but just because waitresses are scantily dressed, does it really mean the place will be loaded with 'drunks, drug addicts and strippers?' Any bar is going to have the a few drunks. It's like complaining that vegetarians like to shop in Whole Foods. Drug addicts and strippers? In Naperville? She obviously doesn't know the place as well as I do, and she's lived here a lot longer.

Personally I look forward to the ribbon cutting, and I have a sneaky feeling our mayor may as well. Not sure I can see the waitresses attending Chamber of Commerce meetings, but you never know.

We already have a few places like this around the area, so I really don't see what all the fuss is about. In this economy you would think the city would be happy any restaurant wanted to bring customers in.

Either way, it's great publicity for Show-Me's and they haven't even finalized the deal yet.

Families protest Show-Me’s - Naperville Sun

2 Comments:

  • Right on

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 PM  

  • I agree! And have these people see what downtown naper is like on weekends with all the drunk people wandering the streets of Naperville?

    By Blogger Becky, at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home