Living the American Dream

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Desperate Housewife

You don't need me to tell you how fabulous America is. There is so much to do. From sea to shining sea, every state is like an individual country. Over 80 and looking for fun in the sun? Try Florida. Sporty outdoor type? Try skiing in Colorado - you get the picture.
As most of you will know, I couldn't wait to get here. How I love the U S of A! (Hope some official is reading this and will rush my green card through). Ten days in I still love it, but it is difficult to travel across the country when you cannot drive and face hours alone in a one bedroomed apartment waiting for your husband to return from work.
So I thought I'd share with you the low down on what life is really like for me just now.

7.15 a.m. Awakened by alarm at 7.15 a.m. Ross has to be in the office by 8 a.m so he gets out
of bed, turns every appliance on full blast but doesn't talk in case he wakes me up.

7.32 a.m. I decide to get up and face the world. It may be below freezing outside, but the sun
is shining and I'm excited!

7.33 a.m. Have shower and put on gym clothes, which are carefully lined up in my walk-in
closet. Ok, so they are Ross's old gym clothes because I gained so much weight before
leaving England mine look like they have shrunk in the wash.

8.05 a.m. Get into the elevator (that's lift for you English readers) and go down two floors to the
fitness room. (Not good to overstretch myself by actually walking downstairs). Turn on
fan (in the unlikely event I get up a sweat) and the TV. My favourite is the Food
Channel. The other day I watched a great programme about sticky toffee pudding. Did
you know it is an English pudding? And pudding is not just a gooey blanchmange, but in
England a word which describes anything sweet eaten after a meal. How informative.
I cycle for 20 minutes before wobbling back like John Wayne to switch off the TV. I
burned off 70 calories, but probably put on more just watching the programme.

8.30 a.m. Check the mail box. On a good day there are 500 pieces of junk mail. Most days,
nothing at all.

8.31 a.m.
or 8.50a.m. depending on whether I take the lift or the stairs

Slump in front of the TV and put back the calories I have just lost. Food here comes in
two kinds: too sweet or too salty. Even the Special K tastes of something, not like in
England, where you'd do better to eat the box.


9 a.m. Pick up laptop and check desperately for e mails. Again, on a good day, plenty of junk,
on a bad, nothing at all. Resume blog writing. Well, you get the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home