Living the American Dream

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Puppy Love

The main reason for my visit here in New Jersey was actually not to see my gbf, but his new puppy, Yeva. Seemingly you cannot really call yourself gay unless you have a dog, especially a little fluffy one. Now if you or I were going to get a dog, the chances are you would pick up a mongrel from a rescue centre, or at least a regular pet shop. It came as no surprise to me that Yeva was actually flying in from Missouri. A Coton de Touleur, her lineage stems from Madacascar, so to be honest I'm surprised she didn't come directly from there in a private jet.
Jack was very keen for me to meet with Yeva as soon as possible, strangely thinking I would be some help with training her. True, we did used to have a dog, but he failed obedience classes and then ran away when we went on holiday, so I'm hardly qualified. Of course I would be able to teach her English as a Foreign Language, but not sure how handy that would be.
As soon as our eyes met, it was love at first sight. As you will see from the photos (to be posted later) she is not only adorable, but quite the poser. She would actually stop galloping around to smile for the camera. She instantly proved her worth as a gbfgd (answers on a postcard, please) by keeping her new raincoat on all afternoon, although we're still working on the shoes.
She loves riding in the car, although I expect it will be sometime before she gets behind the wheel. She is also a champion swimmer, diving straight into the family pool and swimming a length in an elegant doggy paddle, something I can only dream of doing.
Unfortunately house training is proving more of a challenge, and rugs seem more fun to chew on than toys, but it's early days yet. By the time I return, I expect she'll have learnt how to dust, answer phone calls and prepare afternoon tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home