Living the American Dream

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Driving Range

I always thought driving ranges were so called because you use them to practise using your driver. (That's a kind of golf club for those as new to the game as I am).
However, I really feel they would be better used to teach people how to practise difficult driving situations.
Today I proudly drove Buffy off to our local range so we could practise in advance of tomorrow's lesson. (Actually I went a long to watch her while I sweated on a bench sipping water, but I hope some of her expertise rubs off).
Since Buffy always drives us everywhere, I was very happy to drive her the three miles or so to the range, convincing myself it more than makes up for the 500+ miles she must have driven me since we became friends.
The problem is the range is part of a very swanky local club on a busy road. It's nearly impossible to make the required left turn to get out, and I on my own I'll sit there for ages patiently waiting because I'm too chicken to do anything else.
After about 10 minutes of this, Buffy decided to call for action.
"Look, why not turn right, then you can turn round in that street over there," she said.
I finally managed to turn into the traffic, but then had to take an immediate left on the other side of the road. By the time I was able to cross, I realised the traffic was really stacked up behind me.
I finally made the required turn and got back in the right direction.
"The traffic's unusually busy for this time of day," I said, looking at the two mile line I had left in my wake.
"That's alright," said long-suffering Buffy. I'll drive tomorrow."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home