Living the American Dream

Friday, June 06, 2008

Naperville Jazz Fest: It's That Woman in the Radio Active T Shirt

Today saw the start of the second annual Naperville Jazz Festival. Last year we got soaked to the skin in torrential rain. This year there were gale force winds and tornadoes a few miles away.
This time I decided to volunteer as a greeter. Good practice for that job in Walmart I'm heading for if I don't get a publisher soon!
Anyway, at the appointed time I turned up to sign in. The weather was 86 degrees with brooding clouds and very strong winds, so it didn't look good.
"What size T shirt do you need?" said the volunteer coordinator rummaging around in a box of stuff that was so fluorescent green I swear it was radio active.
"Well, I'd like a small," I said. "But I think I actually need an extra large."
She looked up.
"Hah. It's you, from the paper isn't it?" she laughed. "I love your column."
Seeing the shocked look on my face, she immediately apologized. "I'm sorry, I've embarrassed you," she said.
"Oh no, not at all," I replied trying to look like this was an everyday occurrence.
I then spent three hours sitting at the Will Call table where the hardest job was trying to stop the thing from blowing away.
As luck would have it, one of the members of the top of the bill, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, gave me some spare tickets so I was able to go in and enjoy the concert for free. They were so good, I'd have enjoyed them even if I had to pay.
As I left my post to hand over to the next volunteer, I got a touch of deja vu.
"Oh, it's you from the paper," she squealed. "I recognise you from your picture. Oh I'm sorry, you must get sick of hearing that."
Not yet, I don't. Certainly saves me going up to strangers and having to tell them did you know it's me, that woman from the paper.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home