Living the American Dream

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Internet Junkie

I'm quite liking my new office. It's larger than the one I have at home, has a rustic fireplace in its centre and jolly girls dispensing coffee. But as a confessed Internet junky, while I may be ok for now, as soon as I get home, the shakes will start again and my right shoulder will lurch in short, jerky movements as I try to grapple with the fact that WE STILL HAVE NO INTERNET!
Comcast now inform us they will send someone on Friday afternoon. Friday! That's days away. It's all very well blogging from a coffee shop at 10 a.m., but what will I do if creativity strikes at 3 a.m.? (Not as unlikely as you might think, although the creativity part is up for discussion).
I keep thinking about those poor suckers (or should that be blowers?) who try to give up smoking by walking around puffing on a ball point pen. I could sit tapping the counter top, but somehow that doesn't do it. I even caught myself searching the garden for a mouse, but all I could find were a few chipmunks.
I know I have a Blackberry, before you interrupt. I love it, but you know what's even more frustrating than having no Internet? It's having half an Internet, sort of.
I cannot access the web on my phone, and this morning could only read half a very lengthy
e mail from my gbf (he's fine, thank you for asking, apart from..oh well, never mind).
Of course the web isn't only for email. Last night we went to the cinema.
"I'll check out what's on on the web," I said without thinking. "Oh, hang on, I can't. We don't have any Internet."
So we had to drive round to the cinema to check the programmes and times, drive home, then go out again a couple of hours later.
We had mixed feelings about the movie, Swing Vote.
"I like seeing a film before I've read the reviews," I said to Grumpy. "I'll check them out when we get back....Oh, we can't. No Internet."
It made me think of how different life would be without was is arguably the greatest invention of the 20th century.
If we wanted to find out what a foreign country was like, would we have to visit it to find out?
If I needed some background for an article, would I actually, dare I say it, have to visit the library?
If I wanted a bargain, would I have to check out the ads in 85,000 newspapers to see who was selling what?
To add insult to injury, our telephone is on an Internet system too. Without it I can't receive daily updates from Orphan No 2, or speak to my friends and family around the world.
On the one hand, I now feel totally isolated at home without my preferred line of communication, but on the other, I do feel less lonely than usual working out of a coffee shop.
What makes it even worse (do feel free to stop reading if I'm boring you) is this blog. I feel I'm letting my regular readers (both of you) down if I don't update daily. I'm actually considering having therapy for that. Do you know the first question I asked when booking our upcoming vacation in Jamaica was if there was Internet in the room? Scary.

1 Comments:

  • Isn't it weird how we get used to having all this information at our fingertips? Only today we wanted to know how old Fenella Fielding is (yes, I thought she was dead too) and 3 seconds later we knew - 81 this year, actually.

    She was on TV, if you're wondering.

    By Blogger Adele, at 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home