Living the American Dream

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Driven To It

Yesterday I sent a friend in England a birthday card. The card cost me $2.99. The stamp was 94c, yet the entire project cost me just under $80. I can only hope she appreciates it!
I have no one to blame but myself and possibly the criminals of Naperville. Criminals? In Naperville? Surely not! Of course not, but because there aren't any, it frees the local police up to do other things like hand out $75 citations for teeny driving misdemeanours.
Technically, I'm sure the police wouldn't call blocking the road while attempting to turn left from the wrong lane in busy traffic a "teeny" misdemeanour. But coming from somewhere like London, I made far worse mistakes on a daily basis and was only stopped once in more than 30 years for driving with my seat belt under my arm instead of across my throat. I can see driving in the U.S is going to be more difficult than I thought. I'm already really careful not to drive more than 25 mph in residential roads, even though sometimes I have to get out and push the car to make myself go so slowly. Now I'll actually have to ensure I'm in the right lane before turning. Honestly! All I can say is it's lucky I don't drive more than a radius of ten miles of my house if this is what it's like.

This posting is dedicated to Grumpy's colleagues, who tell me I only write about the bad things he does and nothing about me. I don't think that's true at all. It's just he's usually a much richer source of material!

2 Comments:

  • That is odd. We were told(by an anonymous source) that there were multiple citations issued, including reckless driving, in violation of Naperville Gen. Stat. 20-140(b) and resisting a public officer, in violation of Naperville Gen. Stat. 14-223. We were also told(by the same anonymous source) that a heavily armed SWAT team was dispatched along with the Dupage County bomb squad. Once the English translator arrived bail was waived and you were released you on your own recognizance. Sounds like a little more than a "teeny" misdemeanour??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 PM  

  • That is odd. We were told(by an anonymous source) that there were multiple citations issued, including reckless driving, in violation of Naperville Gen. Stat. 20-140(b) and resisting a public officer, in violation of Naperville Gen. Stat. 14-223. We were also told(by the same anonymous source) that a heavily armed SWAT team was dispatched along with the Dupage County bomb squad. Once the English translator arrived bail was waived and you were released on your own recognizance. Sounds like a little more than a "teeny" misdemeanour??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home