Living the American Dream

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Only Way Is Up

The election campaign has been going on ever since we arrived in the United States last March. I can still remember Buffy telling me the name of the Democratic candidate because I kept getting his name the wrong way round.
There will be millions of words written around the world tomorrow about the country's first black president. I can hear the journalists' keyboards clicking away already. My thoughts are not really worthy of inclusion in such a historic event.
But on a personal note, not a day goes by when I don't think "wow, I'm living in America." So to actually be living a few miles away from the home of the next president; to be living here at such a remarkable time when Chicago will be for a short while, at least, the centre of the world, is very humbling. I can only hope the economy now begins to improve and the country pulls together as everyone says they will. After all, I'm not the only one living the American dream.

1 Comments:

  • We have lived here for 26 years and I still think "Wow - I live in America" It's a wonderful place!
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home