Living the American Dream

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Up the Poll

Much as I love my role as observer here in the U.S. I do feel a little disgruntled today because I cannot get involved in today's election. Not even being a second class citizen means I have no vote, but it didn't stop me visiting what would be my local polling place (or station as we call them in England).

Most people are very keen to tell you their political leanings here, and signs like this are littering front lawns at the moment. Interestingly I found far more Republican signs that Democrat in my neighbourhood, but perhaps that's not surprising when you live in a middle class bubble like Naperville. Of course it could be that the Democrats have better things to do with their time than stick signs in their lawns.
The voting system is so complex you need to be a member of Mensa to fully understand it. As well as voting for the president today, various congress and local government posts are up for grabs.

Finally a sign even I could understand. For those not lucky enough to vote at a country club like the good folk of Cress Creek, other sites include local schools and police stations. Schools remain open while voters come and go, unlike in England where it is a welcome excuse for a day off.
I was surprised not to see long lines outside as people waited to vote. Knowing Naperville, it is probably against the law, so I imagine everyone was inside relaxing on leather sofas sipping champagne as they waited.
Another difference is the voting system itself, which seems to be done on computer or with punch cards depending on where you live. This would be far too complicated for the average British voter, so we are simply given a small piece of paper and a tiny pencil which voters use to put a cross by the name of their chosen candidate, assuming they have ever heard of them. This works well because if you cannot decide, you can always take it with you to Ikea.



2 Comments:

  • Actually, in Naperville we are handed a sheet of paper and a black marker to darken an oval next to the candidate for whom we are voting. This allows a machine to read the ballot as well as a hand count if necessary later.

    Let's say we learned the process from our British forefathers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 PM  

  • We, too, had the marker and paper as a ballot choice. Not realizing that it was a marker, I inadvertently darkened part of my thumb with it. That reminded me of a place so very far away with its proud purple thumbs....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home