Living the American Dream

Friday, January 30, 2009

Pig in a Joke

Even when you're producing a comedy, truth can sometimes be funnier than fiction. I've only found the time to write this entry because I'm taking a break from the hundreds of emails going back and forth between cast and crew as we continue to prepare for Holy Neutermony! (Only 29 days to go, tickets available now from 1 630 961 1818, don't forget the international code if you're flying in specially from another country!)
Today's little problem occurred when I decided using a real ventriloquist's puppet would probably be too expensive, so I suggested a hand puppet would do instead. I then realized that the synagogue nursery would probably have just such a thing, which would mean no expense at all!
I was right. We now have a puppet which our 'ventriloquist' will try out at Sunday's rehearsal. Just one problem. It's a pig.
"A pig? In a syng?" I texted back on my Blackberry.
"Just saw the pig. It's hilarious! We have to use it! What is a Jewish comedy without treif (non -kosher) humor?" replied my puppeteer.
"Well we'll give it a try then," I relented. "But remember, he has to play Samson. I'll bring a black wig to try out, but I imagine it will be too big for a pig."
So now I have to add a few lines to the script explaining why a pig is playing Samson. There are some things you just cannot make up....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home