Living the American Dream

Monday, March 16, 2009

Camping It Up

We've been fortunate to have some wonderful trips since moving the U.S and come to think of it, some even more fabulous ones in the past. But I have the feeling nothing will be quite like the one we are taking over Memorial Day weekend in May. To make it clear quite how extraordinary this is, let me explain a few things first.
1. To me, roughing it is staying in a Holiday Inn.
2. I moan if a hotel supplies soap and not shower gel.
3. My sister and her husband live in Australia, so I rarely see them. I've only spent five days with my brother in law ever.
4. My GBF is an adventurous type, but never travels anywhere without 200lbs of luggage.
So, ready for this? That weekend the five of us are travelling up to Wisconsin to spend the weekend in a staff cabin at Camp Freeland Leslie. The cabin has two bedrooms, a fishing boat and bait. Fortunately my brother in law loves to fish, so my sister is very excited about this. I think she sees us bobbing about on the lake gathering up the haul for my GBF to turn into wonderful gourmet dishes to eat around the camp fire.
I'm not so sure. All I can see is a scene from a horror film where an axe murderer runs around the cabin all night, or we wake up in the morning to find a bear eating porridge at the breakfast table.
The reason we are going at all, is because we attended a boy scout auction on Friday night. Oddly enough no one else put in a bid for the weekend, and as Grumpy was keen to support the cause, bid for it. I don't think he actually expected to win. Still, its possibly better than the other lot we won. A tour for 6-8 people to Naperville Police Department. Still, if the cabin's as bad as I think, a night in a cell could be just what we need...

3 Comments:

  • Fear not mum, I have a solution for you.

    http://www.sundaraspa.com/

    Just under an hour away by car. As fishing takes all day they won't even realise you've gone!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

  • You (& Grumpy) did a wonderful job raising your children!
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:49 PM  

  • you camping lol. thats the funniest image ever. are you going to sing round the camp fire making smores. lol i know i good place where you can get all your gear but its a bit far all the way in north finchley xxx

    Love Abi
    xxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home