Living the American Dream

Thursday, May 28, 2009

All In A Good Cause

"So, what exactly is this special luncheon today?" I asked Kay Mary as we drove to the White Eagle Club this morning. I knew it was a Rotary lunch, but this time it was for people to receive Paul Harris Awards.
"Oh we have it every year," she said nonchalantly. "You'll be getting an award too."
"What?" I exclaimed. "What have I done to deserve an award, particularly one no one told me about?"
Turns out that all new Naperville Rotarians receive an award for donations made. Fortunately all I had to do was stand up when my name was called out with other new members, which just made me feel like I'd done something naughty during school dinners. I believe at some time in the future I'll receive a medal, which is odd, because I only deserve one for putting up with Grumpy all these years.
The event actually turned out to be far more interesting than I thought, since various members of the community received awards for good works. Two of them, Annette Swanson and Julie Utter, run a non for profit church organization raising awareness and funds for women in Kenya. I was particularly pleased at this, because apparently they were brought to the attention of Rotary by an article I wrote about them a few months ago.
I usually feel very undeserving at Rotary meetings, since most people do tons for the community and all I do is write about it. But I suppose something like this is means even that tiny bit is sometimes worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home