Living the American Dream

Friday, August 21, 2009

Culinary Fool

When I wrote the entry 'Julie and Julia and Hilary', I was obviously hoping someone would pick up my blog and turn me into a movie star. As it turns out, I'm more likely to turn into a short dumpy British version of Julia Child than blogger Julie Powell. Yesterday I had an email from my friends at The Glancer magazine. They asked if I had a favourite recipe to share for their October issue. I just had to supply the recipe, write about it and send them a photo.
Regular blog readers will know about my culinary skills all too well. You only have to look back at my attempts to make pancakes or frost cookies for that.
"Never mind," I thought. "I'll make a batch of scones and just photograph the best one."
Scones were one of the first things we were taught back in domestic science classes in England in the 1960s, so I thought it shouldn't be too hard. Plus they're English, so American readers won't expect too much knowing what they think of British cuisine.
But nothing is simple, is it? This morning I received an over enthusiastic message to say they were going to send round a photographer to take pictures of me at work in my kitchen! I'm going to look the Muppets' Swedish Chef compared with the other contributors. But thanks to Jett, at least my kitchen looks good......

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home