Living the American Dream

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Omnia: Final Act

I was thrilled when the head of the Omnia theater and development project asked me to be a speaker last night. It was pretty important stuff. After a campaign lasting several years, the City Council were finally going to make a decision as to whether the plans had any chance of success.
The Omnia issue has caused great controversy in the local area which I won't go into here. If you want a factual account you'll have to visit their website www.omniaarts.org. What do I know about straight news reporting?
Anyhow, there were three reasons I wanted to speak.
1. I really am a true believer in the arts and I want a real theater in Naperville.
2. Although I have no right to vote in this country, I appreciate I can still have a voice.
3. I couldn't resist the temptation to be that person at the end of the movie whose motivational speech has the crowd on their feet as he completely sways public opinion.
I could see it all. As I walked up to approach the nine jurors, sorry councilmen, I would hear the audience bristle with excitement. "Oo, it's that woman from the paper. She's great. Plus she has an English accent so whatever she says is bound to be intelligent."
As I started to speak, the eyes of the hard edged councilmen would glaze over with tears. By the end of my talk they'd be on their feet applauding rapturously, all in slow motion, of course. The ball would fall through the hoop as the place erupted, balloons and streamers would fall from the ceiling, fireworks would go off, a marching band would come on and Ty Pennington would have the theater built within the week. Hoorah!
Of course it wasn't quite like that. I did get my three minutes, which the council appeared to listen to. Not sure if the audience was awake because I had to address the council with my back to them. There were plenty of other more informed speakers than me (although none with such a nice accent, I have to say). Oh, and the plan was thrown out, so no theater this time round. As they say, it's not over til the fat lady speaks....

1 Comments:

  • Don't tell Ty Pennington it was thrown out,just get him here anyway!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home