Living the American Dream

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Food Fight

As you might imagine, visiting the Healing Field was quite a serious event. But even against the somewhat sad background, there's always room for levity.
Something I always enjoy about Naperville event is bumping into my growing band of acquaintances. There's only 146,000 people in the town after all, so at some point I'm bound to interview all of them, I'm sure!
Anyhow, there I was chatting with Ray McGury, head of Naperville Park District and Pat Merryweather, President of Naperville Rotary when another Rotarian joined us.
English readers: This may seem like no big deal to you, but in England it would be like hobnobbing with Boris Johnson and the Queen.
Cort introduced me to his wife, and said he always remembered my name because of the famous Beatles song "I'm 'ilary the Eighth I am." After politely explaining he not only had the wrong name, but the wrong group, he then got a bit snitty.
"Well I'll tell you something now for your blog," he said, only half joking. "I don't like Yorkshire Pudding!"
Unbelievable. There I was being at my most respectful surrounded by American flags, and he was attacking one of our national dishes!
"Well, let me tell you something," I said, drawing myself up to my full 5' 4". "I don't like hot dogs!"
I swear the entire field of visitors went silent. Everyone froze and in the distance I'm sure I spied a ball of tumbleweed rolling down Rotary Hill.


1 Comments:

  • Unbelievable! The Duchess
    ('enry would be proud of you!)..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home