Living the American Dream

Friday, November 06, 2009

On The Psychiatrist's Couch

If I weren't a semi unemployed writer with dramatic tendencies towards megalomania, I might have been a psychiatrist. I would have enjoyed sitting around listening to people talk about themselves. A bit like what I do now, except my subjects don't normally have their feet up on a couch.
So you won't be surprised to learn when I had the opportunity today to put my own feet up, I jumped at the chance. I was actually helping out a psychology student who wanted to talk to a person from a different culture about adult development and aging.
I tried not to let the fact that he arrived an hour late go against him. After all, no one was paying for his time yet. He was very apologetic and polite and I had fun talking to him for an hour about myself (see above). I then had fun listening to him tell me about himself.
He left me the list of questions he had asked. Not sure why, unless it was so I could sue him as soon as he qualifies. But it does give me the chance to answer in the way I would like to have done if I wasn't trying to behave like an aging adult. Here's a sample:
Q1: In general, what types of experiences are painful for you? For your family?
A1: Root canal treatment. Agony for me and painful for Grumpy because he has to pay.
Q2: What types of things make you feel important? How do members of your family find the feeling of importance?
A2: Strangers telling me how much they enjoy my writing, and psychology students using me for case studies. (Important or insulted, one of the two). The members of my family don't find me as important as I do. (oh, that's not what you meant, is it?)
Q3. If you fit in at home and in your community, tell me what a normal day is like for you.
A3: Coffee in Panera with the Duchess, four hours blogging, getting my nails done and defrosting dinner.

Q4: What are the most enjoyable activities in your life?
A4: See previous answer.

Q5: What types of things make you angry? How do you respond to that anger and how would someone know if you are angry?
A5: People asking me stupid questions makes me angry you blithering idiot!!WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHUT UP? GET OUT!!! (They never know, I keep it to myself quite well thank you).
Q6: What has your educational background been like? How about your work experience?
Q6: Mi eddukashionle bakgrond cud av bin bettur. I experienced work once and decided it wasn't for me.

2 Comments:

  • Had ya replied like that, he'd've run off holding his sides with laughter and begun to seriously consider changing his major.



    Hyacinth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 PM  

  • Your answers to Q 3 & 4 illustrate what a sane, well balanced person you are. He'll probably base his thesis on that interview!
    The Duchess..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home