Living the American Dream

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sex and the Shopping

Today sees the opening of Sex and the City 2. I was delighted when the Sun asked me to imagine what would happen if the girls went shopping in Naperville. I'm not sure this is quite what they wanted, but they printed it anyway so kudos to them for allowing me to write outside the box for a change....

It was Thursday. Thursday in downtown Naperville. At 11 a.m. the boutiques were just opening because it gave their clients the necessary four hours to have their hair and make up ready before venturing out of the house. The sound of four women click clacking down the side walk was unmistakable. It could mean only one thing. Three sets of Manolos and a pair of Jimmy Choos.
Carrie, resplendent in grey silk Valentino with a pink feather boa and giant sunflower on her head shrieked: “If I don't stop shopping, I'll end up a bag lady; a Fendi bag lady, but a bag lady.....”
“You know girls, this is a lot of fun, but we do have a movie premiere to get to,” breathed Samantha. “Sex and the City 2 opens today.”
“I know,” said Carrie. “But there’s always time to do some last minute shopping. This city is so cute – the downtown stores could have been made with us in mind.”
“Oo, let’s go try this one,” said Charlotte. “It’s perfect for me now I have two little girls. Hot Mama.”
“Excuse me, I think I’m the hot one,” said Samantha pushing past her.
The ladies fell upon the racks of clothes, hardly noticing assistant manager Amy Kiel talking to a dowdy middle aged reporter in the corner.
“Customers in Naperville want to be on the trendy edge of fashion,” she said. “Women are more willing to take some risks. They come to town for the restaurants and shopping.”
Shopping bags in hand, the girls moved on to Little Luxuries. Carrie immediately spied some hand-made purses with detachable decorations.
“These are fabulous,” she exclaimed, “and a steal at only $300. I’ll take six.”
Next, jewelry. At Baubles by Maclyn, Kellyn Machacek said:
“I think that Charlotte, now having two babies - Lily and now Rose would absolutely LOVE the custom made name pendants. She could also choose from a selection of fun baubles to match any outfit. This necklace is perfect for the on the go new mom, and lets her brag about her girls, without being blatant.”
So much to shop for in so little time. Fortunately Kate Mulcahy, Boutique Proprietor of Benefit Cosmetics was able to help Miranda.
“You Rebel Lite tinted moisturizer, Coralista blush, Bad Gal Brown mascara,
Go red head fab with light coverage, a poppy coral cheek and lush dark brown lashes," she said, piling the goodies into a little bag.
“Thanks,” said Miranda. “You know my husband Steve comes from Naperville, although he goes under the name of David Eigenberg when he’s in town for some reason.”
“I think I’ll just pop into Lil J’s Bohemia to get some more Indian style clothes like the ones we wear in the movie,” said Carrie. “All of their Mata Trader dresses are handmade by women artisans in India. They are fairly traded which means the artisans were paid a fair wage for their work and work in good working conditions, no sweatshop or child labor.”
“Ok,” said Miranda, “I’ll head to Zano’s for a Brazilian wax. I forgot before we started our last movie. I don’t want to get caught out again.”
“Speaking of forgetting things, I still have to get my dress for tonight’s premiere,” Samantha suddenly remembered.
It didn’t take her long to find the perfect thing at Bri’Zan couture – a hand made custom designed Stephan Yearick dress for $3,400.
“Well it does have Swarovski crystals all over it,” laughed Samantha as Charlotte examined the price tag.
By 4 p.m. the girls were exhausted. Fortunately help was at foot from the girls at the Coldwater Creek Spa. Hot River Stone Pedicures soon had them feeling refreshed.
“You know we still have time for the most important meal of the day,” said Miranda, “cocktails!”
“Yummy,” giggled Charlotte. “We could be really decadent and ditch the Cosmos for Cocoatinis at Le Chocolat du Bouchard. Its Italian espresso and Belgian hot chocolate frothed to perfection with a dusting of Venezuelan cocoa for $4.75, but don’t ask me how I know that.”
“Sorry girls, I’ll have to meet you later at the movie,” said Samantha waving goodbye. “I have to make a quick stop in Cress Creek to buy one last thing for myself, and it comes from Lover’s Lane!”
Katie Wood, Executive Director of the Downtown Naperville Alliance added: “Carrie and the SATC gals would love Downtown Naperville! They could shop most of the day in their stiletto heels at our many boutiques and jewelry shops – and afterwards, have a great meal paired with a cool pink Cosmo! Women from all over make day trips to Downtown Naperville to do just this (with or without the heels)!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home