Living the American Dream

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Writing's on the Wall..

Regular readers may have noticed I've been blogging less often recently. If you haven't noticed its because you're not a regular reader and that brings me to my first point. After more than three years I'm getting far less readers and I think I've identified a few reasons why.
1. The novelty (for you, not me) has worn off. Initially I started this blog to keep in touch with friends and family around the world. We're now becoming so removed that I don't think they feel the need to check in so often. Although to those of us who live here, Naperville's a great place, it's hardly the center of the universe to outsiders.
2. The blog then took on a life of its own. Naperville turned into an almost mythical place. I turned everyone I met into a 'character' to preserve their anonymity to some extend and to protect me from law suits. I felt almost like a puppet master and took great pleasure at looking at mid Western suburbia from a unique view point...but..
3. I then started to become known in town myself. Initially I blogged because as a writer I have an insatiable urge to be heard. I write for local publications and consequently started to mix with Naperville's movers and shakers. I have quite a few fans and although I may get less readers here than I would like, it's public so I never know who will check it out. So far it's all been great feedback, but the more entrenched I become the more concerned I am about upsetting someone. For that reason I've imposed a censorship on myself that would infuriate me if an editor did it.
4. And that really is the main point. I'm no longer an outsider. At this year's barbecue guests included councilmen, the executive director of the library, a former Rotarian president and representatives of the local food pantry. Grumpy and I are pillars of the community. We've been embraced like long lost children and taken under the town's wings because we've learnt the rules. Naperville society works like this. You help other people and they will help you. If I want to fill our yard with guests because I get lonely and want Grumpy to enjoy the barbecue tradition he started some 20 years ago, I have to do more than just ask people to come over. Help others by doing something like holding a mini food drive and they'll come flocking, so everyone wins.
Of course the blog has had unexpected bonuses. It brought over a complete stranger from Dubai with her family who has now become a close friend and who is also enjoying the American Dream.
I had intended to keep blogging until our green card arrived, which at the way its going will be sometime in 2050! If nothing else its a way of diary keeping material for the book I'll start when my work permit is no longer renewable in January 2012. That's when my local fame will be over and I'll have to resort to other methods to be heard because I won't be allowed to write for a living.
So the countdown is on. I have about 50 entries before I get to my 1,000th, which seems like a good place to stop. After that, you'll have to find me on facebook or hopefully on the shelves of a bookshop.

4 Comments:

  • NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!Just evolve it, don't stop it, if you had stopped two years ago we would not have been here now but in Texas recovering from snakebites and putting on weight.
    Don’t stop, just keep getting better. Have a word somewhere with the tourist board or I will have a word with Oprah.Maybe it is time to take it to the next level. Face book is tacky compared to your blog.
    Perhaps invite others to share their knowledge on other subjects and recipes and tips on how too???? Whatever!An Online magazine that has something that people need. The next big thing !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM  

  • I agree with Geordie Sue (not that she would permit me to disagree). Always fun to read. Occasionally fun to comment. Keep it up - we learned there are still people in Naperworld who don't know you yet.

    By Anonymous Neighbour, at 9:51 PM  

  • Upset someone? How could you? Not your agenda. Humor seems to run a very fine line parallel to truth. I can upset someone in a twinkle: you cannot. I have an Achilles heel; it's always in the crouch position, ready to spring.
    You Keep up Appearances quite well.

    I do feel a green card fluttering in the wind.... believe.

    Hyacinth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 AM  

  • NO - DON'T STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Susan Suchomel, at 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home